Clinton C Gilliam – Senior Information Technology Leader
Puffin Advisors, Sudbury, MA (2022-Present)
Principal, Consultant & Interim IT Executive
After departing Constellation/Morphosys, after its change in control, I have again focused my efforts on Puffin Advisors as detailed below.
Constellation Pharmaceuticals/Morphosys, Cambridge, MA (2018-2022)
Vice President, Information Technology
Responsible for all facets of Information Technology from budgeting, organization design, personnel development, user support, operations, security, compliance, and project delivery. Lead integrated technology road mapping process aligning plans for systems critical to supporting corporate objectives.
- Identify and implement strategic platforms to support the organization’s increasingly complex and diverse needs, thus avoiding the need to constantly re-platform. A first step is the use of the Veeva platform to support our ongoing drug development work and eventual commercial operations. Initial Veeva efforts focus on Vault’s RIM module followed by the Quality Suite of solutions.
- Migrated Bioinformatics team and their 50TB of data from Azure to AWS and environment better suited to their unique needs. Effort increased the efficiency of each group and reduced overall costs by ~10%.
- Pivoted to seamlessly support organization’s transition to full remote working during COVID-19 crisis. Supported users, managed the entry, and exit of employees, and responded to this working model’s new requirements.
- Restructured IT organization creating new job descriptions career tracks for all critical functions to retain, develop, and attract top talent.
- Implement programs to ensure ongoing Information Technology’s compliance with SOX to 21 CFR (and global equivalents) requirements. Developed SOPs to define IT’s processes and worked in the larger overall organization to address cross-functional issues.
- Developed and drove strategy for the Information Technology merger and integration program to support of Morphosys acquisition. Addressed technical, cultural, and process issues required to ensure uninterrupted service delivery and achievement of goals.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, MA (2013-2016)
Vice President, Information Technology
Recruited as the company’s first Vice President of Information Technology to create a scalable high-performing organization for a rapidly growing biotechnology startup company. Responsible for worldwide IT operations including application development, infrastructure management, user support, security and compliance related matters. Transformed IT from a tactically driven team to an organization embracing strategic planning, process, and portfolio management to enable the company’s strategic objectives. Achieved lowest overall turnover within the organization.
- Rolled out new ERP system in six months using Oracle’s Enterprise Business Suite (EBS).
- Drove a cloud-first enterprise architecture increasing business agility and reducing fix asset costs by over 50%. Run over 95% of systems in the cloud.
- Reduced key software licensing costs by 20% through use of negotiated enterprise-level service agreements.
- Created service management organization to support global organization in rapidly growing organization. Achieved consistent year-on-year customer satisfaction ratings improvements.
- Partnered with senior business leaders to identify needs and drive positive change. Communicated value IT organization enabling IT’s growth from five people to eighteen within two years.
- Launched of a new Customer Care system in three months enabling an internal call center to support customers (patients). Created seamless and automated process workflows to improve efficiency.
- Tackled the problem of commercial sales analytics in the Specialty Pharmaceutical business where data is limited due to the lack of direct-to-consumer interactions. Architected and implement technology / partner network to create a scalable commercial data warehouse leveraging cloud-based technologies.
Puffin Advisors, Sudbury, MA (2011-2018)
Principal, Consultant & Interim IT Executive
Enable success for both new and existing organizations through the strategic use of information technology. Build and improve IT organizations by understanding intricacies of the business they support and identifying essential needs. Deploy scalable and secure capabilities promptly. Drive complex IT/business transformations. Provide interim/fractional IT leadership including CIO and other senior roles.
- Create and execute an IT Strategy Roadmaps defining the core capabilities required to support an organization’s strategy. Key components include an overall strategy, projects, cost estimates, and priorities.
- Planned and led due diligence evaluations & merger integration programs including governance, risk mitigation, synergy savings, and risk management.
- Developed a technology plan for a leading media company. Increased effectiveness of IT expenditures by identifying high ROI opportunities and establishing a company-wide integrated planning process.
- Address strategic concerns, provide guidance/mentoring to existing IT Teams along with a range of assessment and remediation services including shared services and sourcing models, compliance and information security.
Parexel International, Waltham, MA (2008-2010)
Vice President, Worldwide Technology Implementation
Chartered to boost business performance, reshaping CRS IT strategy and execution central to revenue success and growth; improved partner quality, performance, and relations as CRS IT leader for transformation program impacting global markets. Aligned the organization on a single global technology vision.
- Accelerated transformation program schedule by rebuilding vendor-partner relationships.
- Selected and managed implementation, infrastructure, and service partners to support business, emphasizing mutually beneficial relationships while overseeing performance.
- Led delivery of architecture components (Clinical Trial Management System, Clinical Data Management System, Data Warehouse, Electronic Data Capture, document management, Electronic Patient-Reported Outcomes, project portals.)
- Reduced clinical IT spend 30%+ in the first year after spearheading new portfolio management process, with prioritization and development planning aligned closely with business needs.
- Cultivated executive and stakeholder support critical to corporate project rationalization and prioritization exercises.
- Strengthened adherence to healthcare compliance standards (CDISC, CDASH, SDTM, HL7, EMR, and EHR.)
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE (1993-2007)
Executive Director – Operations & Finance Solutions (2003-2007)
Promoted to lead U.S. ERP systems architecture, shared services design, and improvements to operational services via offshoring. Served as an executive member of a global team chartered with setting corporate direction and created high-ROI portfolio management process. Administered a 200+ application portfolio, including SAP ERP and Ariba cost management. Managed 110 IT staff supporting finance, manufacturing, distribution, procurement, quality, and facilities.
- Reduced SAP support expenditures by $2M (10%) by designing and implementing shared services organization.
- Improved IT agility and service quality for SAP systems while reducing spending by $4M by offshoring.
- Increased staff motivation by educating employees on importance of quality controls, compliance, and systems availability/performance, noting their own impact on the health of patients.
- Created and drove US IT SOX compliance program with high marks auditors.
Executive Director – Technology, Processes, & Services (1998-2003)
Directed $130M+ Infrastructure Services organization which supported 10,000 global users and 1,000 applications. Supervised 150-450 employees in data center management, help desk, service management, troubleshooting, security, enterprise architecture design, applications, and development.
- Directed IT infrastructure integration programs in support of two major mergers. Achieved improved services and cost reduction of 40% through a focus on consolidation and rationalization of IT facilities and systems. Received corporate awards of excellence for accomplishments during each merger.
Director – Development Solutions & Planning (1993-1997)
Selected as IT’s Chief Architect for a new standalone company.
- Drove application architecture and development processes embracing leading-edge technologies. Laid foundation for reusable, rapid applications development with software infrastructures running on common architectures and systems.
- Created and implemented organization’s first IT security program.
- Ensured adherence to FDA standards with automated compliance validation; led information security program implementation that passed 100% of control audits.
- Created organization’s first technology portfolio planning process; allowing for creation of business aligned investment roadmaps for technology, systems, and services.